Tuesday 12 May 2015

Lessons I've Learned as a Debut Author


The day I had dreamed about finally arrived when my debut novel Paris Kiss was launched earlier this year.

But like most long-held ambitions the reality was entirely different from the daydream that had sustained me through writing a first novel, finding an agent, rewriting, and securing a publisher.

I’ve loved every minute of it – and this is what I’ve learned from my author debut so far.

•The book launch goes by in a flash. It was like a wedding without the white dress. More than 140 people turned up at Waterstones, Argyle Street, Glasgow, with drinks afterwards at the atmospheric Sloans Bar. It was a wonderful night but all over too soon.

•Amazon rankings are maddening and baffling. I rue the day another author told me about these and I’ve had to wean myself off compulsively checking the rankings two or three times a day.
 
•It’s important to do as many author appearances as possible. My first book festival, Glasgow’s Aye Write!, felt like a milestone. I’ve been asked to Edinburgh Reads at the Central Library, to Tidelines, North Ayrshire’s book festival, Glasgow Women’s Library and to book groups and libraries. It’s a great way to meet readers and spread the word.
 
•Readings become less scary and more fun. I was sick with nerves the first time I read in front of an audience. I’ve since learned to choose lively scenes with dialogue and to keep it short. A bit of context helps place the audience in your imaginary world.
 
Get on with book two. It’s a hard to strike a balance between publicising the first novel and moving on to the second, but it’s important to make time for new writing. 
•With thanks to photographers Brian Stewart and Andrew Watson






No comments:

Post a Comment